Sunday 24 April 2016

My year living with Harry!

Within the last year, my sister gave birth to her first child which put Harry's nose out of joint as he was no longer "number one son". Not long after my nephew came along my sister and her husband then moved house which left Harry feeling even more confused. The change of house also meant Harry had to change dog walker which altered his entire routine. This new routine left Harry feeling even more anxious and unaware of his surroundings.

With my sister being off on maternity leave, Harry got used to having her around and therefore would no longer wait by himself in the house any more. This meant that my sister could not even make short trips to the shops down the street without sending Harry into a frenzy. This also meant that Harry had to go everywhere with her in the car which was very difficult at peak times during summer and winter months with the high and low temperatures.

Harry has become very protective over his new home and now barks at every little hint of movement or noise from the neighbours (including every time they walk past the door!!) He was initially scared of my nephew but now absolutely loves when my nephew feeds him titbits from his high-chair when my sister and her husband aren't looking!

His new anxious state led to my sister and her husband getting in touch with a new behaviourist who suggested using food toys, amongst other things, to mentally stimulate Harry. The behaviourist had said that Harry would take a few weeks to work out how to use these new toys, however worked them out in only a matter of minutes!

My sister and her husband are now currently waiting to see yet another behaviourist at a top veterinary school which will hopefully shed some light on what has caused Harry to become so anxious in multiple situations. They have recently discovered that Harry has arthritis in his hips which means his day care trips with his new dog walker are going to come to an end because he is too tired and sore. We all have our fingers crossed that this new behaviourist will hopefully help Harry, but I guess we will have to wait and see!


My one year old nephew giving poor wee Harry a hug!

5 comments:

  1. We met your dad out walking with Harry. He's a lovely boy. Hope all works out well and he settles soon. Hazel Stalker

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great stories. As a mum to a 12 yr old daughter and a 9mth old WCS called Buddy, it's great to read real life stories about what animal lovers us British are and how we adapt and cope with what life throws at us.
    Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathryn, I met Harry a couple of years ago. What a handsome boy. I really looking forward to reading about his antics.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathryn, I met Harry a couple of years ago. What a handsome boy. I really looking forward to reading about his antics.x

    ReplyDelete